There’s a common misconception that the only way we can lose belly fat is by spending countless hours doing cardio. It turns out that strength training might be a better burning fat method because it burns fat while and after you work out.
When it comes to strength training, the best dumbbell exercise to lose belly fat is an accessible and easy way to get a great workout and kiss that lose belly goodbye.
Top Dumbbell Exercises to Lose Belly Fat
Most of these workouts are multi-joint, multi-muscle exercises that are going to get your BPMs high. By focusing on several muscle groups simultaneously with strength training, you will end up with a much higher calorie and fat burn.
That being said, we recommend you try different sets of dumbbells so you have heavier weights for some workouts and lighter weights for others.
Unlike traditional sit-ups, dumbbell sit-ups help you work on every corner of your core. The primary muscles dumbbell sit-ups work are the rectus abdominis located in front of your torso.
This exercise also works your quadriceps muscles, the obliques, and hip flexors. The added advantage of dumbbell sit-ups over regular sit-ups is that you give your core additional resistance.
To perform a dumbbell sit-up:
- Start by lying down on a bench or mat with your back flat on the floor and knees bent like regular sit-ups.
- Hold the dumbbells with your hands and place them near your chest
- Lift yourself up slowly and roll the dumbbells up to touch your knees. Make sure you really engage your core.
- Hold this position for a few seconds. Lower your body slowly and repeat. You can do at least two sets.
Dumbbell Plank Rows
Planks have always been a great way to lose belly fat and strengthen your core. If they’ve become too easy for you, incorporate some dumbbells to give this exercise a new dimension. With this exercise, you can also target your chest muscles, back muscles, glutes, and quads.
To perform Dumbbell Plank Rows:
- Start by holding a set of dumbbells with your hands.
- Set your body in a push-up position, make sure your arms are straight and directly underneath your shoulders.
- As you position yourself, make sure your elbows and abs are tight at all times.
- Lift the dumbbell and pull your elbow as you do so.
- Return the dumbbell to the floor and repeat the same motion with the other hand.
As you do this exercise, make sure your torso doesn’t rotate on either side.
Dumbbell Russian Twists
The Russian twist is a classic workout that helps you strengthen your core and works on your hips and shoulders as well. Dumbbell Russian twists also help improve your posture and balance. The movements also aid in getting rid of love handles.
To perform the Dumbbell Russian Twist:
- Start by grabbing a set of dumbbells in each hand.
- Proceed to sit on the floor with your knees bent at 90 degrees.
- Hold the dumbbells straight out and make sure your back remains straight as you do so.
- Twist your torso using the dumbbells to the right as far as you can.
- Do the same on the left. That will make one rep.
Dumbbell Renegade Rows
Unlike the above dumbbell exercise, the renegade rows not only help you lose belly fat; it also increases the strength in your biceps, triceps, back, and shoulders. They’re also a two-in-one exercise that actively works on your core with every motion.
To perform Dumbbell Renegade Rows:
- Start by positioning yourself in a push-up position with the dumbbells on each hand on the floor.
- Lift each dumbbell weight towards the side of your body and balance your body with your feet and other hand.
- Hold that position for one second and slowly lower the weight.
- Repeat the same motion on the other side.
Make sure your body stays straight at all times as you row the dumbbell.
Is Fat Really Bad?
Did you know that we all have belly fat? Yes, even people with flat abs. Having fat around your abdomen —belly fat—is natural, however, having too much of it can be dangerous.
There are two types of abdominal fat. Visceral fat, that’s the fat that surrounds your organs; and subcutaneous fat, the fat located under your skin. Of these two types, visceral fat is more harmful compared to subcutaneous fat.
While visceral fat provides your organs with cushioning, too much visceral fat can lead to diseases like type 2 diabetes, dementia, heart disease, and some types of cancers like colon cancer and breast cancer.
When a person gains too much weight, your body begins to store the belly fat in unusual places like around your heart, as your fat storage is full.
Other Ways Lose Belly Fat
One way to work on losing belly fat is by wearing a waist trimmer while working out. Exercise plays a crucial role in helping you trim belly fat. It, however, does require other certain elements for you to successfully keep the belly fat away. Some of these elements include:
- Stress Management
Your diet plays a huge role in the loss of belly fat. This is why it is important to eat a well-balanced meal, along with an intake of the right supplement stack. If you have unhealthy eating habits, try to create healthy ones like getting rid of unhealthy drinks and replacing them with water.
We all have stressful lives, it’s how you handle the stress that matters. Stress contributes largely to our eating habit and by managing your stress; you can lose belly fat. Therefore, try to look for ways you can relax like blowing off steam, exercising, or meditating.
With less stress in your life, you get to make healthier decisions.
Nobody can deny that dumbbells are an effective way to lose body fat. However, like any other exercise, it requires determination and sacrifice to accomplish that goal. You also have to incorporate other elements to help make the journey easier.