Having an excellent dumbbell set is one of the most simple ways you can start a home gym. After all, you can use dumbbells in a lot of workout exercises and routines. Dumbbells are really useful for resistance training and help a lot in losing weight.
If you’re just beginning to train, getting a beginner dumbbell set will help you kickstart your health and fitness lifestyle. However, knowing what’s the best beginner dumbbell set can get confusing. We’ve compiled several beginner dumbbells sets to help you choose the best one for you, as well as some features you should consider.
- Our Top Best Beginner Dumbbell Set Reviews
- Best Overall Beginner Dumbbell Set: Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Weights
- Best for the Money Beginner Dumbbell Set: Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells with Connector Options
- Best Cheap Beginner Dumbbell Set: Sunny Health 14 and Fitness 33-Pound Dumbbell Chrome Set
- What Makes a Good Dumbbell Set for Beginners?
Our Top Best Beginner Dumbbell Set Reviews
Dumbbells can be intimidating for first-timers and beginners. Heavy dumbbells can cause muscle soreness that makes beginners in exercise to quit early on. They can also be a hazard in your home if you don’t place them properly.
The beginner dumbbell sets in this list are great for beginners because they are manageable in size and easy to handle as you progress in your fitness journey.
Best Overall Beginner Dumbbell Set: Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Weights
The Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Weights is a pair of dumbbells that can replace 15 different sets of weights. The dumbbell set can weigh around from 5 to 52 lbs with only using 2 dumbbells. This is great for beginners who’re looking into the long term.
The Bowflex Adjustable Weights are perfect for beginners who don’t have the space to make a viable home gym. These dumbbells are great for resistance training and they don’t take up a lot of space at home.
The design of the dumbbell set is also convenient for beginners. They come with a solid plastic platform that holds the weight plates in place. This platform also helps as you adjust the weight of the dumbbell.
Changing weight plates is relatively easy for Bowflex Adjustable Weights. Just place the dumbbells on the plastic platform and you’ll find a dial located at the end of the dumbbells. Just turn the dials to your preferred weights and you’re good to go.
The handle has a comfortable ergonomic shape that beginners won’t have a hard time gripping it. The rubber exterior on the handle also reduces the chances of the dumbbell slipping.
The weight plates and dumbbells have a reliable design. Even the plastic platform feels durable. However, because it’s beginner-friendly it might not be as durable as other conventional dumbbells.
If you drop this dumbbell on the ground or slam it with force, there’s a high chance it will break. If you want the Bowflex Adjustable Weights to last longer, you need to handle them with care.
However, the wide range of weight plates makes these a good practical investment for beginners.
- Compact exercise equipment for beginners
- Little space needed at home
- Easy and convenient weight plate change thanks to its setup
- Solid feel on the handle with a rubber grip
- Doesn’t make as much noise as metal dumbbells
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds; adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25...
- Lets you rapidly switch from one exercise to the next
- Combines 15 sets of weights into one, using a unique dial system
Best for the Money Beginner Dumbbell Set: Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells with Connector Options
The Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells is a dumbbell set that has many additional options you can buy to expand it. You can buy them with connectors or a specific set of weight plates. They also contain a couple of chrome handles, cast iron weight plates, and 4 chrome spin-on lock collars.
These chrome handles feature a textured ergonomic grip that feels secure in your hands. They fit comfortably on your fist and don’t dig too deep on your palms upon gripping. This will help you get used to training with dumbbells.
The cast-iron weight plates have a smooth, clean finish to prevent wear and rust. You can choose weight plates from 40 to 200 pounds.
The Yes4All Dumbbell Set looks just like your typical dumbbell set and what makes them great for your money is that they get the job done at an affordable price. The cast-iron weight plates ensure that your dumbbell set will last for a very long time.
The variety of weight choices is great for beginners who want to pick dumbbell sets based on their perceived strength. Though, we’d recommend you start light if you have no experience lifting heavy weight plates.
If you feel like your strength is increasing and you now lift lighter weight plates then adding weight plates is so easy. The average diameter of dumbbell collars is a standard 1.25 inches. You can add almost all types of weight plates to it. That’s why you’ll be spending less on it in the long run.
The Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells can last you a lifetime. They also have a wide variety of weight plates you can choose from and have plenty of room for an upgrade in the future.
- Durable all-metal construction
- Great for beginners who want to invest in dumbbells for long term
- There is room for a weight upgrade and it’s cheap
- Durable enamel finish on the weight plates and chrome finish on the handle keeps rust away
- Anti-slip handle
- Covers almost all weight range for complete coverage of exercises with dumbbells
- SET OF 2 DUMBBELLS - 105 LBS TOTAL (52. 5 LBS EACH SIDE): TWO 16”x1. 15” handles, SIXTEEN...
- CAST IRON WEIGHT PLATES FIT 1. 15-INCH STANDARD BAR: Accommodate all standard 1. 15-inch handles....
- 16-INCH DIAMOND KNURLED CHROME HANDLE: Constructed of high-quality, textured chrome handle for...
Best Cheap Beginner Dumbbell Set: Sunny Health 14 and Fitness 33-Pound Dumbbell Chrome Set
The Sunny Health 14 and Fitness 33-Pound Dumbbell Chrome Set is a cheap dumbbell set that is perfect for beginners. The adjustable design makes it ideal for beginners for a flexible choice of weights.
It allows for full range motion that fully strength-trains each individual muscle. It helps you improve the strength of everyday functional movements, sports movements, and strengthen your muscle groups.
The Sunny Health Dumbbell Chrome Set comes with 12 different weight plates for varying weights for resistance training. There are eight 2.5-pound plates and four 1.25-pound plates for a total of 16.5 pounds per dumbbell for varying weight combinations.
It also comes with a plastic case so you can bring them with you on the go and maintain your fitness level. The dense molded plastic case can easily transport your free weights and feels durable.
Thanks to the outside collars, locking the weight plates are firmly secured and tight ensuring your safety when lifting weights. The dumbbell set is also easy to detach and reattach their weights plates.
The heavy-duty solid steel cogs securely lock in the adjustable weight plates and are durable. The solid steel handlebar weighs 2.75 pounds and feels comfortable and durable in your hands. The cogs weigh at 0.55 pounds.
You can use the Sunny Health Dumbbell Chrome Set in a wide variety of exercises. You can use them for strength training, squats, and even cardio. What really makes them great for a beginner is that they’re more suitably used for in-home training.
- Allows you to fully customize your workout
- Cross-hatch, textured grip and solid steel handlebars ensure maximum grip
- Heavy-duty solid steel cogs securely lock in the adjustable plates
- Solid steel handlebars weigh in at 2.75 lbs. And the solid steel cogs each weigh at 0.55 lbs.
- Curl with your chrome dumbbells to improve the strength in your bicep muscles
- KNURLING GRIP: Cross-hatch textured handlebar provides a comfortable, slip resistant surface so you...
- ADJUSTABLE STRENGTH TRAINING: Heavy-duty solid, steel cogs securely lock in the adjustable plates....
- STRENGTH TRAINING: Perform a wide variety of exercise by incorporating strength training or...
What Makes a Good Dumbbell Set for Beginners?
Finding dumbbells as a beginner can be stressful. It’s difficult to choose which of your options are viable for you since you have no experience with dumbbells in the first place. Looking at these common features can help you decide and rate how well they do it individually.
Dumbbells for beginners usually come in 2 designs: fixed or adjustable.
Fixed dumbbells are the most common you can find. Most beginners use them they usually come in neoprene materials. The downside is there’s no room for upgrading the weight.
Adjustable dumbbells usually come with a pair of bars with spiral grooves on either end which you can use to change the weight of the dumbbell. They take up less space compared to fixed dumbbells and are versatile with weight making it viable for beginners who want to further their dumbbell exercise.
As a beginner, you’d generally want to start with lighter weight dumbbells. Then go up on the weight as you gradually increase your strength.
Lifting too much weight can cause muscle fatigue. This can make you feel unmotivated to do exercise and stop you from getting fit and healthy.
Materials can predict how long your dumbbells will last. Generally going for metal dumbbells is what most people do as they can really last you for a long time, even for a lifetime.
Plastic is generally cheaper but is less durable.
They’re good for beginners who want to feel using a dumbbell before investing in it. Neoprene dumbbells are also good to begin with and they generally last longer compared to plastic.
Getting a dumbbell set that works great for beginners can be hassling. Choosing a dumbbell set that is comfortable for you and can last you for the long run is essential. Fitness is a lifestyle so having the right set of equipment will be beneficial for you.