When looking to add kettlebells into your training one of the options you might consider is turning to the best kettlebells DVD. There are a TON of videos out there, so how do you choose the right one?
Top Kettlebell Workout DVDs Available
Are you a beginner that has never picked up a kettlebell before, or are you looking to target a specific area with your workout? Do you want a lighter workout, or do you want to be sore for the next two weeks?
Ask yourself these when buying the best kettlebell workout DVDs. You can find DVDs to match any workout desire but sifting through all the options can be a daunting process.
Fortunately, we have a few recommendations for the top kettlebell workout DVD for every experience level to get you started, or back on track with your fitness journey.
Best Kettlebell Workout DVD Overall: Skogg 5 Disc Kettlebell Program
From the mind of kettlebell expert Michael Skogg, the Skogg Kettlebell Program” is an instructional DVD that teaches you the basics and advanced kettlebell exercises. Each routine will work your whole body, build muscle, and strengthen your core, giving you a holistic workout experience.
The first DVD focuses on workouts best suited for beginners in need of an introduction to kettlebell movements. The rest of the DVDs intensifies as you move on to harder routines, including cardio, core, and high-intensity weight training.
Each session includes warm-up and cool-down stretches, so you won’t have to worry about muscle soreness or lookup for additional resources.
You’ll need only one set of kettlebells for the light routines, although you may want to use heavier kettlebells for the more advanced reps. Since you won’t need lots of kettlebells, you can exercise whether you’re in the living room or a workout area.
The workout routines are easy to follow and they run between 10, 20 minutes and 35 minutes, which you can choose from if you need a quick or lengthy kettlebell session. With a 644-minute total runtime, you can finish the whole set in less than a week.
- Combines weight and cardio training in one routine
- Suitable for both beginners and experts
- Easy-to-follow and modifiable routines
- Exercises tend to be a bit repetitive
Best Kettlebell Workout DVD for the Money: RKS Kettlebell Workout DVD
If you’re looking for something more challenging you might want to look at the RKS Kettlebell Workout. This DVD is truly a full body kettlebell workout. In this DVD set, you will be working on cardiovascular conditioning, endurance, flexibility, and strength.
This set of nine kettlebell DVDs includes sixteen 30 mins works outs designed to be done four times a week. However, unlike the Skogg DVD or the Bob Harper Kettlebell DVD, the RKS DVD only has a total runtime of 500 minutes.
Each disk includes a warm-up, two days worth of exercises, and a cool down, so no need to worry about shuffling disks halfway through a workout.
The exercises focus on kettlebells, but also include some additional variety of workouts to mix it up. This package also comes with a complete nutrition guide to help you along your fitness journey.
This workout series is definitely for someone who is already more comfortable working with kettlebells, and it’ll be perfect to use with adjustable kettlebells for variation, but it will also get your heart pumping and help you get the results you want.
It is also more expensive than a lot of other kettlebell DVD’s, but for what you’re getting, it is well worth it.
- Covers the basics and high-intensity routines
- Comes with a nutritional guide
- 4-week program that only needs one kettlebell
- Designed for men and experienced athletes already familiar with kettlebell workouts
Best Cheap Kettlebell Workout DVD: Jillian Michaels: Shred-It With Weights DVD
If you want a cheaper alternative that covers strength and kettlebell training, another great option to check out is the highly recommended Jillian Michaels’ DVD. This one can be done with a kettlebell or single hand weight, but kettlebells are the recommended option.
However, unlike the first workout DVDs, this DVD includes two 30 minute boot-camp work outs. You start with Level 1 and then move up to the Level 2 when you’re ready.
This Michaels kettlebell workout keeps it moving even in Level 1. This personal trainer includes a good amount of cardio and full-body strength training and kettlebell training. But don’t worry, Level 1 is still plenty challenging! Some users claim to see results in about a week with this DVD.
Most consider this workout to be for the intermediate, but she includes options for both beginners and the advanced user who wants a more intense session.
Michaels knows how to keep a workout moving so that you will feel engaged the whole time. If you’re consistently doing this workout you should definitely be seeing the results you’re looking for. Best of all, this complete workout is incredibly affordable on Amazon.
- Ideal for light kettlebells
- Heart-pumping strength kettlebell training
- Modifiable routines for advanced users
- The explanations are not beginner-friendly
Best Kettlebell Workout DVD for Beginners: Acacia Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts for Beginners DVD
If you’re a beginner, you should check out the Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts for Beginners. Designed by Paul Katami, a personal trainer in Hollywood, the Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts for Beginners DVD is focused on form and technique. It may not be the most challenging but it will still get you sweating!
Overall the Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts for Beginners is best suited for beginners who are looking to focus on the right technique. Unlike others like the Bob Harper kettlebell or Iron Core kettlebell DVDs, the Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts for beginners from this DVD helps you form a solid base for more intense routines in the future.
This DVD has a 79 minute runtime and presents three 25 minute exercises. The first workout is a tutorial focusing on proper form best suited for beginners, the second is drills and combinations, and the third workout focuses on core.
While this might not be a challenging workout for someone who is already working with kettlebells, it is much slower and provides lots of instructions for beginners. And, the best part about this kettlebell video is that it is very reasonably priced on Amazon!
- Suitable for those starting out, overweight, or haven’t exercised in over six months
- Focuses on proper form, technique, and healthy habits
- Easy-to-learn kettlebell drills and combinations
- Routines are too light for professional athletes
Features to Consider in the Top Kettlebell Workout DVD
Even as we go back to gyms and exercising outside, working out in the comfort of our homes can keep us extra safe. These are the features to look out for when choosing the right kettlebell workout DVD for your needs.
Most DVDs specify the level of the workouts. Some focus on a particular level, while others provide modifications as you progress. While kettlebells are great because they cater to all levels, routines may vary depending on your strength and experience.
If this is your first time doing kettlebell exercises and you want a solid foundation, the Acacia Ultimate Kettlebell Workout is more ideal. Meanwhile, the Michaels video would be better for those who want to focus on advanced routines.
The DVDs from Skogg and Men’s Health provide a holistic learning experience, letting you choose from beginner, intermediate, and expert kettlebell exercises.
With several kinds of kettlebell routines, one of the things that can help you decide is determining your health goals.
- Muscle growth: Improving muscle size depends on the rep ranges and sets. With the rigorous program from Skogg, the intense load you do provides muscle groups tension and buildup.
- Fat Burning: It’s vital that you don’t lose muscle while shredding fat. If you want to accomplish a weight loss program, you can rely on RKS Men’s Health DVD’s routines to preserve muscle while maintaining a high metabolism.
- Strength Training: Suppose you want to do strength training to gain functional movement and injury resilience, then you can opt for the Michaels DVD’s heavy kettlebell lifting routines.
- General fitness: Perhaps you just want to remain active even for a few minutes per day, then the light, beginner program of the Acacia Ultimate Kettlebell DVD would be better for you.
Whichever you choose, you can improve your health, manage stress levels, and be happy as you look and feel good.
One of the best things about kettlebells is that they offer variation to the otherwise monotonous routines. With kettlebells, you won’t feel bored or dragged as you try different types of high-intensity reps, lunges, and swings.
Variation helps you move different parts of the body and target every single muscle with kettlebells. Fortunately, all of the DVDs offer full-body workout and modifiable routines. Depending on the fitness intensity, you can move from basic exercises to these specializations:
- Body toning exercises
- Muscle buildup exercises
- Cardiovascular training exercises
- Weights training exercises
- Core strengthening exercises
Time and Availability
This relies on a DVD’s inclusions and length of routines. The Skogg 5 DVD set provides the longest runtime, with 644 minutes of beginner to advanced high-intensity routines.
The same goes for the RKS DVD, which allows you to finish the 500-minute workout program in four days. Likewise, this is perfect if you’re a single parent or student who can only exercise an hour per day.
The Acacia Ultimate DVD includes 3 25-minute workouts. While the cheapest pick, the Michaels DVD only has two 30-minute workout sets. These two workout DVDs are time-appropriate for those who can only squeeze in about half an hour of daily exercise.
Space and Equipment Requirements
Since these workout DVDs are for home use, it’s essential that you get to perform the routines anywhere in your home, whether it’s in your room or garage.
Since the Skogg DVD contains 5 DVD set of routines, it may require you to shift from one set of kettlebells to heavier ones. Meanwhile, the other DVD set only needs 1 to 2 kettlebells, depending on how you adjust the routines.
While selecting an instructor can be a subjective factor, it’s equally important that you take into account the coach’s credentials and experience.
- Michael Skogg: Skogg has a 30-year experience as a kettlebell coach and educator, allowing him to become an American Kettlebell Club certified coach. His background in injury rehabilitation and corrective exercise allows him to develop kettlebell workouts with safety in mind, as evident in the Skogg kettlebell workout routines.
- Eric Leija: After retiring from a flourishing MMA career, Leija opened a gym and eventually became a senior kettlebell training coach. He brings his unique style of combining challenging workouts and functional movements in the RKS Workout DVD.
- Jillian Michaels: Working as a personal trainer, Michaels focuses on strength training by combining yoga, kickboxing, weight training, and Pilates for her routines. She has certifications from the National Exercise & Sports Trainers Association, the Kettlebell Concepts, Aerobics, and Fitness Association of America, and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates.
- Paul Katami: With more than two decades of experience as a fitness professional, Katami brags several titles under his belt — Kettlebell National Master Trainer, AFAA Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Group Fitness Instructor, IDEA Fitness Presenter, ECA Fitness Presenter, and UCLA Certified Fitness Instructor.
While it may be overwhelming to search for the perfect kettlebell DVD for you, these three options provide a range of levels and types of workouts. Keep in mind what your experience level is and what you’re looking for and you’re sure to find the right option for you!